Asian Americans in Illinois
DID YOU KNOW?
- Asian Americans are 18 million strong and the fastest-growing population in the United States and the population self-identifying as Asian grew 45.6% from 2000 to 2010. This trend continued from 2010 to 2012 where the Asian American population grew 2.9% in 2012, compared to the Hispanic population, which grew 2.2%. By 2050, Asian Americans are projected to be 10% of the U.S. population.
- As the 3rd largest metropolitan area after New York and Los Angeles, the Chicago metropolitan area is home to the 5th largest Asian American population in the nation, with 604,000 individuals (2014 1-Year American Community Survey). More than 80% of Asian Americans in Illinois reside in the Chicago metropolitan area.
- The Pakistani community surpassed the Vietnamese in 2010 to become the 5th Largest Asian American group in Chicago metropolitan area and is the 3rd Largest in the U.S. (after New York and Los Angeles)
- Cook County has the largest Filipino population in the Midwest and among the Top 10 in the U.S.
- There have been NO Asian American legislators in the history of the Illinois General Assembly in the State House and Senate.